Sunday, October 4, 2009

Time Flies When You're Having Fun?

Ok, that might be stretching it a little bit, but it's certainly true in many ways.
Home Sweet Home - The DeSoto Parish courthouse

This Monday marks the one year anniversary of my starting my job as a bon-a-fide "Land Wo-Man". As many of you may know, the title of "Landman" covers many different roles in the oil and gas business, primarly describing those who actually go out and acquire leases. That is one aspect of the business I have yet to explore, as most of my days are spent entering information into a computer and fighting the crowds at the DeSoto Parish courthouse. I'm an "Abstractor" who basically follows the chain of title of any given piece of property. No one will tell you that the work is fun, it isn't. But, there is a lot to be said for having some great co-workers who never cease to keep me entertained, and a boss who really and truly cares for his employees.

Here are a few members of the "team" at a BBQ we held for our summer intern:


Yea I know, we all look too cool for school in our shades, but seriously. We ARE too cool for school. This also illustrates one of the many perks of our job. We can wear jeans every day of the week! Yahoo! We cannot, however, wear camouflage cargo shorts. Good thing Chris was working from home that day...

Over the course of the past 12 months, there have been significant ups and downs in this business. That is nothing new. However, I have managed to stay around for a year now, and I feel as though I've proven myself to be both a dependable and knowledgeable employee. That doesn't mean I'll be fortunate enough to stick around if times get really tough, but I'm at least in a better position than I was a year ago...a newbie with absolutely no knowledge of title research or abstracting.

One person I have to thank is my (now) good friend Elizabeth(that's her in the green shirt above). We were sorority sisters at LSU, and I happened to run into her at the Red River Revel last year. Somehow we started talking about jobs, and she mentioned that she would be happy to give my resume' to her boss. This was right about the time that the Landman business was booming as a result of the discovery of the Haynesville Shale. I went in for a quick interview, and the rest is history. I got the job, and I would start in two weeks. Elizabeth intimidated me a bit in college. She was two years older, and always the life of the party. If you told me 6 years ago that she would be one of my good friends today, I wouldn't have believed you. But, I am happy to say it's true, and I certainly wouldn't be in the position I'm in without her.

There are a few other characters at work who get me through the day, and I would be here all night if I talked about each of them. We love to laugh about the silly people we encounter from time to time, and hardly a day goes by when I don't have a good chuckle.

Don't get me wrong, there are days when I am stressed to the max because I have an urgent project due. And there are days when I come back from the courthouse ready to blow a gasket because of the ridiculous amount of people there. But, in the end, I have a job that I enjoy, a job that I'm good at doing, and a job that I hope I will have for many years to come. And, that's all that matters.

3 comments:

  1. Love it! We DO have such a good group and so much to be appreciative of! -Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. That courthouse looks nice! Way to go Cathy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cathy..Where have you been? The blog world misses you!

    ReplyDelete